BUENOS AIRES, Argentina, March 1, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Global telecommunications provider Level 3 Communications, Inc. (NYSE: LVLT) expanded its Latin American Internet Protocol (IP) and metro network by 1,000 kilometers in 2015. The company also added new nodes and expanded existing nodes in several key cities in Brazil, Colombia and Mexico to facilitate secure connections between the region and business centers around the globe.
- Throughout 2015, Level 3 conducted various expansions of its IP and metro networks in the Brazilian cities of São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Porto Alegre, Curitiba and Belo Horizonte.
- The network now has more than 500 points around the country with 1 Gigabit throughput capacity, increasing bandwidth options for customers.
- The company completed intercity long-haul network expansions between the cities of Cotia and Santos; Cotia and Curitiba; and Londrina and Curitiba delivering route diversity and enhanced business continuity to customers.
- Network expansions were completed in Bogota, Cali and Medellin.
- Level 3 added a new zone template with the capability for 1 Gigabit connections for customers in the city of Barranquilla.
- The expansion created an increase in fiber connectivity, network strength, equipment quality and security. These cities now have a more robust, end-to-end system that can isolate and resolve specific customer issues, preventing these issues from impacting the entire network.
- A long-haul network expansion was completed from Monterrey, Mexico, to McAllen, Texas.
- In 2015, Level 3 invested in expanding and optimizing its nodes in Buenos Aires, Argentina; Nepomuceno, Brazil; Cali and Bogotá, Colombia; and Quito, Ecuador.
- Improvements include greater capacity, more rack space, more efficient use of space and new, energy efficient equipment.
- Two new sites in Santos, Brazil, and a cable landing station in Punta Bazán, Colombia, were added, joining the more than 200 nodes the company operates in the Latin America region.
Key Facts about Level 3's Network:
- Level 3 operates a global network reaching more than 500 markets and 60 countries.
- Level 3's network consists of more than 330,000 km of fiber globally, with more than 175,000 km of intercity fiber, more than 53,000 km of undersea cables and more than 102,000 km of metro networks.
- Level 3 has a 29,000 km network footprint and more than 200 nodes throughout Latin America.
- Level 3's global IP backbone capacity is more than 42 Terabits per second (Tbps).
Hector Alonso, Level 3´s regional president for Latin America
"In 2015, we made significant investments in some of the most important Latin American markets that not only meet the needs of customers today, but also anticipate their needs in the future. Our comprehensive portfolio of metro and long-haul services, along with our local team of experts, is a winning combination that is helping our customers efficiently and securely expand their businesses around the world."
About Level 3 Communications
Level 3 Communications, Inc. (NYSE: LVLT) is a Fortune 500 company that provides local, national and global communications services to enterprise, government and carrier customers. Level 3's comprehensive portfolio of secure, managed solutions includes fiber and infrastructure solutions; IP-based voice and data communications; wide-area Ethernet services; video and content distribution; data center and cloud-based solutions. Level 3 serves customers in more than 500 markets in over 60 countries across a global services platform anchored by owned fiber networks on three continents and connected by extensive undersea facilities. For more information, please visit www.level3.com or get to know us on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
© Level 3 Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Level 3, Vyvx, Level 3 Communications, Level (3) and the Level 3 Logo are either registered service marks or service marks of Level 3 Communications, LLC and/or one of its Affiliates in the United States and elsewhere. Any other service names, product names, company names or logos included herein are the trademarks or service marks of their respective owners. Level 3 services are provided by subsidiaries of Level 3 Communications, Inc.
Some statements made in this press release are forward-looking in nature and are based on management's current expectations or beliefs. These forward-looking statements are not a guarantee of performance and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside Level 3's control, which could cause actual events to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the statements. Important factors that could prevent Level 3 from achieving its stated goals include, but are not limited to, the company's ability to: increase revenue from its services to realize its targets for financial and operating performance; develop and maintain effective business support systems; manage system and network failures or disruptions; avert the breach of its network and computer system security measures; develop new services that meet customer demands and generate acceptable margins; manage the future expansion or adaptation of its network to remain competitive; defend intellectual property and proprietary rights; manage risks associated with continued uncertainty in the global economy; manage continued or accelerated decreases in market pricing for communications services; obtain capacity for its network from other providers and interconnect its network with other networks on favorable terms; successfully integrate future acquisitions; effectively manage political, legal, regulatory, foreign currency and other risks it is exposed to due to its substantial international operations; mitigate its exposure to contingent liabilities; and meet all of the terms and conditions of its debt obligations. Additional information concerning these and other important factors can be found within Level 3's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Statements in this press release should be evaluated in light of these important factors. Level 3 is under no obligation to, and expressly disclaims any such obligation to, update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20140908/144115