MONROE, La., Oct. 4, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- In 2017, more than half of U.S. adults online were victims of a cybercrime and more than one million children were victims of identity theft or fraud. As a leading provider of security services and threat intelligence, CenturyLink, Inc. (NYSE: CTL) is helping promote online safety by serving as an official Champion of National Cyber Security Awareness Month.
Learn how you can make your home a haven for online safety: http://www.centurylinkbrightideas.com/make-home-a-haven-for-online-safety/
CenturyLink encourages consumers to practice good online safety habits with these tips:
- Improve your passwords
- Don't use default names or passwords which can easily be hacked.
- Criminals can often guess passwords based on pet names and the people close to you. Be creative.
- Use a "passphrase" with letters and symbols rather than a password.
- Example: "I Lik3 @ppl3 Pi3"
- Practice good cyber hygiene
- Never click a link in an email that goes to an outside site, even if you recognize the company or individual.
- Be careful what information you share on social media and who sees it.
- Set up two-factor authentication to make it more difficult for a third-party to access your accounts.
- Keep your devices "clean"
- Update software regularly to make your devices less vulnerable to cyber security threats.
- Check the user guides for all internet-connected devices to see how and where your personal information is stored and shared.
- Don't join an unknown Wi-Fi hotspot; set up your own.
In addition, work with your internet service provider for advice on how to help keep personal and home internet-connected devices safe online. CenturyLink operates one of the world's largest global internet backbones and captures over 1.3 billion cybersecurity events each day.
Learn more about cybersecurity best practices at https://staysafeonline.org/ or at http://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/security/best-practices-for-managing-internet-security.html.
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is the second largest U.S. communications provider to global enterprise customers. With customers in more than 60 countries and an intense focus on the customer experience, CenturyLink strives to be the world's best networking company by solving customers' increased demand for reliable and secure connections. The company also serves as its customers' trusted partner, helping them manage increased network and IT complexity and providing managed network and cyber security solutions that help protect their business.
SOURCE CenturyLink, Inc.