MONROE, La., Oct. 29, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Since its debut in 2016, when it disrupted global internet traffic through a far-reaching distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack, the malware known as Mirai has evolved into several variants capable of amassing infected internet-connected devices for similar attacks. CenturyLink, Inc. (NYSE: CTL) is sharing new intelligence from the CenturyLink Threat Research Labs documenting the recent resurgence and evolution of the Mirai variant named Satori or Mirai Okiru.
Read the CenturyLink Threat Research Labs report on Satori: https://www.netformation.com/our-pov/the-resilient-satori-botnet/.
"Collaboration among providers and the security research community is vital in combatting ongoing and evolving cyber threats," said Mike Benjamin, head of CenturyLink's Threat Research Labs. "That's why CenturyLink's objective is to use our expansive view of the threat landscape to protect our network and those of our customers from malicious actors."
- CenturyLink Threat Research Labs noted traffic from the Satori botnet stopped in early September, days after one of its main operators was arrested, only to reactivate a few weeks later.
- As of the end of September, CenturyLink Threat Research Labs has been monitoring traffic between a Satori command and control server (C2) with hosts distributed around the world.
- Satori is migrating away from traditional IoT targets to other hardware types, including Android devices.
- CenturyLink has notified impacted network providers to help mitigate Satori's latest infection.
- CenturyLink Threat Research Labs recommends default configurations be set to minimize the vectors that can be used to attack internet-connected devices.
- Read the CenturyLink 2018 Threat Report: https://www.multivu.com/players/English/8085056-centurylink-2018-threat-report/.
- Learn how CenturyLink takes cyber intelligence to the next level with expanded view of threatscape: http://news.centurylink.com/2018-04-03-CenturyLink-takes-cyber-intelligence-to-the-next-level-with-expanded-view-of-threatscape.
- Discover the depth and breadth of CenturyLink's Security Services: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPmySkMoHRI.
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is the second largest U.S. communications provider to global enterprise customers. With customers in more than 60 countries and an intense focus on the customer experience, CenturyLink strives to be the world's best networking company by solving customers' increased demand for reliable and secure connections. The company also serves as its customers' trusted partner, helping them manage increased network and IT complexity and providing managed network and cyber security solutions that help protect their business.
SOURCE CenturyLink, Inc.