PHOENIX, Ariz. Sept. 10, 2019 – CenturyLink, Inc. (NYSE: CTL) is expanding its fiber network in Phoenix, bringing fast and reliable internet service to an additional 24,000 homes in the area and helping subscribers create a seamless digital home experience.
Eligible Phoenix residents will receive information at their homes on the upgraded speeds, including early-bird offers and invitations to reserve their spot now for CenturyLink Fiber Gigabit service. Residents who wish to learn more and sign up to be notified when the service is available in their neighborhood can also visit: www.centurylink.com/phoenixfiber.
“We’re pleased that CenturyLink has chosen to invest in its Phoenix network, bringing Fiber Gigabit service to our city,” said Debra Stark, Phoenix Council Member District 3 “Fiber has virtually unlimited bandwidth and the durability to last for years to come.”
“The internet connection is crucial to our everyday lives. It powers home businesses, education and health care, and helps create a digital home, connecting us to video entertainment, smart home devices, gaming, security systems and more, with the number of connections expected to grow,” said Chris Denzin, CenturyLink VP of consumer sales. “Phoenix residents need the fiber technology to efficiently support all these connections and be ready for what lies ahead. CenturyLink Fiber Gigabit can provide the capacity customers need, now and into the future.”
The benefits of fiber technology
- Provides symmetrical speeds allowing users to upload and download content at up to 940 megabits per second.
- Provides enough power to simultaneously download music and movies while gaming and streaming HD and 4K content, with virtually no lag time.
- May have a positive impact on property values, education, business and future economic development.
- Can easily handle the current and future demands of numerous connected devices in homes and businesses.
CenturyLink’s fiber project will be a rolling turn-up, so once areas are complete, residents and businesses are eligible to sign up and begin receiving services. Construction on the project is expected to be complete by early December.
- Fiber Gigabit service will allow customers to quickly download content:
- Photos (5 MB) in 0.04 seconds
- Music (70 MB) in .56 seconds
- TV shows (175 MB) in 1.49 seconds
- Movies (700 MB) in 5.9 seconds
- In addition, customers with Fiber Gigabit service will be able to back up a 16 GB smartphone in 2.27 minutes.
- Currently in the U.S., there are approximately 8 networked devices per person, a number expected to climb to 13.6 per person by 2022 according to the Cisco Visual Networking Index 2018.
- The average fiber-connected household generated 86 Gigabytes of data per month in 2017 and will generate 264 Gigabytes per month by 2022, according to the Cisco VNI.
- Data also shows home values may increase when connected to a fiber internet service.
- Visit www.centurylink.com/phoenixfiber for more information about the project.
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is a technology leader delivering hybrid networking, cloud connectivity, and security solutions to customers around the world. Through its extensive global fiber network, CenturyLink provides secure and reliable services to meet the growing digital demands of businesses and consumers. CenturyLink strives to be the trusted connection to the networked world and is focused on delivering technology that enhances the customer experience. Learn more at http://news.centurylink.com/