SALT LAKE CITY, Nov. 14, 2019 – CenturyLink, Inc. (NYSE: CTL) is expanding its fiber network in Salt Lake City and the surrounding area, bringing fast and reliable internet service to thousands of homes and helping subscribers create a seamless digital home experience.
CenturyLink is delivering fiber gigabit technology to the Salt Lake City area as part of its continued commitment to meet the broadband needs of residents and local businesses in Utah by increasing broadband speeds and availability throughout its service territory.
“Life is powered by connections and we know that communities benefit from fiber internet access with faster speeds,” said Mayor Jenny Wilson, Salt Lake County. “We welcome CenturyLink’s commitment to meet the broadband needs of residents and local businesses in Salt Lake County.”
CenturyLink’s fiber project will be a rolling turn-up, so once areas are complete, residents and businesses are eligible to sign up and begin receiving services.
Eligible Salt Lake City residents will receive information at their homes on the upgraded speeds, including early bird offers and invitations to reserve their spot now for CenturyLink Fiber Gigabit service. Residents who wish to learn more and sign-up to be notified when the service is available in their neighborhood can also visit: www.centurylink.com/saltlakecityfiber.
“The internet connection gives us the power to move into the future – it powers homes, businesses, education and health care, and helps create a digital home – it is crucial to our lives,” said Chris Denzin, CenturyLink VP of consumer sales. “CenturyLink Fiber Gigabit can provide the capacity customers need, now and into the future, connecting people to video entertainment, smart home devices, gaming, security systems and more, with the number of connections expected to grow. Salt Lake City residents need the fiber technology to efficiently support all these connections and be ready for what lies ahead, and CenturyLink is here to provide a fast, reliable connection.
CenturyLink is committed to supporting events and efforts that align with our core values and improve the quality of life in the communities we serve. As a service provider and employer, we have a vested interest in continuing to support organizations that share our goal of seeing communities thrive in the Salt Lake City area and throughout Utah.
The benefits of fiber technology
- Provides symmetrical speeds allowing users to upload and download content at up to 940 megabits per second.
- Provides enough power to simultaneously download music and movies while gaming and streaming HD and 4K content, with virtually no lag time.
- May have a positive impact on property values, education, business and future economic development.
- Can easily handle the current and future demands of numerous connected devices in homes and businesses.
- Fiber Gigabit service will allow customers to quickly download content:
- Photos (5 MB) in 0.04 seconds
- Music (70 MB) in .56 seconds
- TV shows (175 MB) in 1.49 seconds
- Movies (700 MB) in 5.9 seconds
- In addition, customers with Fiber Gigabit service will be able to back up a 16 GB smartphone in 2.27 minutes.
- Currently in the U.S., there are approximately 8 networked devices per person, a number expected to climb to 13.6 per person by 2022 according to the Cisco Visual Networking Index 2018.
- The average fiber-connected household generated 86 Gigabytes of data per month in 2017 and will generate 264 Gigabytes per month by 2022, according to the Cisco VNI.
- Data also shows home values may increase when connected to a fiber internet service.
- Construction on the project is expected to be completed by 2020.
Visit www.centurylink.com/saltlakecityfiber for more information about the project
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is a technology leader delivering hybrid networking, cloud connectivity, and security solutions to customers around the world. Through its extensive global fiber network, CenturyLink provides secure and reliable services to meet the growing digital demands of businesses and consumers. CenturyLink strives to be the trusted connection to the networked world and is focused on delivering technology that enhances the customer experience. Learn more at http://news.centurylink.com/.