12,000 homes and 500 businesses to have access to fiber optic technology by this summer
BOULDER, Colo. March 21, 2019 – CenturyLink, Inc. (NYSE: CTL) is completing a fiber optic construction project in Boulder, bringing faster and more reliable internet to an additional 12,000 homes and 500 businesses in the area.
Boulder residents who wish to learn more, and sign up to be notified when fiber gigabit service is available in their neighborhood, can visit: www.centurylink.com/boulderfiber.
“Fiber optic technology provides fast, more reliable and secure connectivity, making it a top option for residential and business customers alike,” said Guy Gunther, senior director of consumer investment strategy at CenturyLink. “CenturyLink’s fiber build project in Boulder will not only deliver higher speeds, but also offer the bandwidth capacity to enable next generation technologies, which is critical given Boulder’s standing as an innovative, tech-forward city.”
Fiber optic-based internet services are made possible by connecting fiber optic cable directly to homes and businesses using Fiber to the Home (FTTH) technology. FTTH technology benefits every type of user, from the serious gamer to the self-employed business owner. CenturyLink’s fiber internet services include rapid upload/download speeds, as well as the ability to support multiple users on multiple devices simultaneously.
- CenturyLink’s fiber build in Boulder will enable an additional 12,000 homes and 500 businesses in the area with internet speeds up to one gigabit per second.
- The project will be a rolling turn-up, which means that once areas are complete, residents and businesses are eligible to sign up and begin receiving services immediately. Construction on the project is expected to finish this summer.
- One gigabit fiber service will allow customers to quickly download content:
- Photos (5 MB) in 0.04 seconds
- Music (70 MB) in .56 seconds
- TV shows (175 MB) in 1.49 seconds
- Movies (700 MB) in 5.96 seconds
- In addition, customers with gigabit fiber service will be able to back up a 16 GB smartphone in 2.27 minutes.
- Fiber networks have proven to be more reliable and resilient than copper networks to weather conditions, resulting in fewer service interruptions.
- Data has shown home values may increase when connected to a fiber internet service.
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is the second largest U.S. communications provider to global enterprise customers. With customers in more than 60 countries and an intense focus on the customer experience, CenturyLink strives to be the world’s best networking company by solving customers’ increased demand for reliable and secure connections. The company also serves as its customers’ trusted partner, helping them manage increased network and IT complexity and providing managed network and cyber security solutions that help protect their business.