MONROE, La., Jan. 26, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- As a 2018 Data Privacy Day Champion, CenturyLink, Inc. (NYSE: CTL) is joining the National Cyber Security Alliance in the global effort to create awareness about the importance of respecting privacy, safeguarding data and enabling trust. Data Privacy Day commemorates the Jan. 28, 1981, signing of Convention 108, the first legally binding international treaty addressing privacy and data protection.
In recognition of Data Privacy Day, CenturyLink is sharing security predictions from Dale Drew, chief security strategist; David Mahon, chief security officer and Chris Richter, vice president of global managed security solutions, as well as tips and resources to help businesses and consumers protect their sensitive information online.
Watch CenturyLink's 2018 Security Predictions video here: https://youtu.be/8trI_CfVzRs.
2018 Security Predictions:
1. The nature of cyberthreats will not change, but their tactics will.
We will continue to face evolving ransomware, malware and DDoS threats from recent years as cyber criminals attempt to recreate successful exploits like Mirai, the botnet behind recent large-scale network attacks. However, bad actors will modify operations to hide their activities through new techniques, such as peer-to-peer networking or anonymous VPNs.
2. Digital transformation will shape how enterprises secure their operations.
The ongoing digitization of everything from customer preferences to currency will remain one of the biggest drivers for more effective business cybersecurity programs – including greater attention on the supply chain.
3. Both industry collaboration and legislation will play greater roles in working to protect the global internet.
The security research community will make a greater effort to collaborate to detect – as well as prevent – the types of global cyber events we have seen in recent years. In addition, the implementation of General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and similar legislation, will spur more organizations to adopt security frameworks.
Here's what you can do to support data privacy:
Tips and Resources for Enterprises:
- Ask yourself: Are you Doing Enough to Protect Consumers' Data?
- Read: Cybersecurity: Our Shared Responsibility
- Learn about: Moving to a More Efficient Cyber Security Strategy
- Hear from: CenturyLink CSO, David Mahon, on lessons learned in cybersecurity
- Catch up on: Packet Crime, a CSO blog by CenturyLink Chief Security Strategist Dale Drew
Tips and Resources for Consumers:
- Discover: Your Privacy in a Growing Internet of Me
- Master these: Seven tips for keeping your mobile device… your device
- Learn how: Social engineers know what you're thinking
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is the second largest U.S. communications provider to global enterprise customers. With customers in more than 60 countries and an intense focus on the customer experience, CenturyLink strives to be the world's best networking company by solving customers' increased demand for reliable and secure connections. The company also serves as its customers' trusted partner, helping them manage increased network and IT complexity and providing managed network and cyber security solutions that help protect their business.
SOURCE CenturyLink, Inc.