In four years, sports fans from around the globe will get the answer to the question, “is the grass really greener” when they descend on Lumen Field for the 2026 FIFA World Cup Games. This amazing venue, also home of the National Football League’s Seattle Seahawks, Major League Soccer’s Seattle Sounders and the National Women’s Soccer League’s OL Reign, was recently selected to host the games.
This historic tournament will be the first World Cup Games to feature a 48-team field and the first to be hosted by three countries: the United States, Canada and Mexico. Other cities selected to host the 2026 games are:
- U.S.: Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, San Francisco
- Canada: Toronto and Vancouver
- Mexico: Guadalajara and Monterrey
“Dedicated Seattle fans have celebrated in their iconic stadium for many years. Now fans from all over the world will get to experience Lumen Field,” said Shaun Andrews, Lumen Chief Marketing Officer. “We’re psyched the Seahawks organization was selected to host this amazing event. It’s a great moment for everyone — the teams, the fans, and all the organizations that make this stadium spectacular. We are proud to have the Lumen name on the skyline of Seattle.”
The Lumen Field stadium complex—which includes Lumen Field, WAMU Theater, and the 325,000 sq. ft. Lumen Field Event Center—is no stranger to hosting big games. The sports and entertainment venue typically hosts more than 300 event days per year, attracting more than 2.4 million attendees annually.
“We are proud and honored to have Lumen Field selected as a host venue for the FIFA World Cup 2026,” said Chuck Arnold, president of the Seahawks and First & Goal, Inc.” Lumen Field was truly built for this, and we can’t wait to show fans from around the globe the electric, energizing atmosphere our stadium is known for. We are grateful to FIFA for recognizing Lumen Field as one of North America’s most premier sports and entertainment venues and entrusting us to host such a prestigious international event.”
Lumen’s commitment to environmental sustainability
In September 2021, Lumen and the Seattle Seahawks announced the completion of its renovation with First & Goal Inc. and several local vendors to make
Lumen Field one of the top five most energy-efficient NFL stadiums in the country, complete with state-of-the-art, environmentally friendly signage to showcase its new name. Sustainability was at the forefront of every decision for the transition from CenturyLink Field to Lumen Field. This included:
- The replacement of more than 5,000 signs - 3,500 lbs. of old signs were recycled or reused.
- The annual installation of large-scale 260’ x 600’ banners on the north stairs of the stadium that contain EcoFormat™ Coating. This coating utilizes a proprietary Titanium Dioxide solution from Pureti, Inc., which helps remove pollutants like sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide and volatile organic compounds from the air. A billboard-sized graphic treated with EcoFormat™ Coating will reverse the air polluting effect equivalent to 12 cars driving 10,000 miles per year.
- The interior letter set for “Welcome to Lumen Field” only required one new letter, the “M.” To salvage the maximum amount of existing material, the stadium reused all the letters except one from the previous signage.
- During the field replacement in 2019, 488 tons of rubber and sand were recycled, and all the carpet was repurposed to ensure that 100% of the project was diverted from the landfill.
- Lumen Field has both recycling and composting bins all throughout the stadium.
Lumen Field recognized as one of the most energy-efficient fields
In 2021, Lumen Field and the Seahawks were founding partners of Play to Zero, a recognition and sustainability performance toolkit powered by Arc Skoru Inc., in collaboration with the Green Sports Alliance. The Lumen Field stadium complex has also received the following accolades for proactively identifying and developing long-standing policies, programs and initiatives to reduce energy and resource consumption:
- 2018 Stadium Business Summit international “Sustainability and Community” Award
- 2018 Environmental Protection Agency “Waste Wise” Award
- 2019 Seattle Business Magazine “Community Impact Gold Award for Sustainability”
- 2020 Environmental Protection Agency “Very Large Business Partner of the Year” Award
The Lumen Field stadium complex is just one example of how Lumen is enabling a range of solutions to support the sustainability goals of our partners and customers. You can learn more about our commitment as a technology company to environmental sustainability here.